Thursday, May 14, 2009

Introducing your Not-So-Friendly Food Critic

Before anyone even thinks of listening to my opinion about the dining scene in NYC, I thought I should introduce myself. I am a 29 year old lawyer who grew up in the restaurant business as a product of a Greek immigrant family. I have lived in the West Village for six of the last eight years, so as you will discover I have a bit of a downtown bias. I love nothing better than going out to dinner, whether it be eating alone at the bar or catching up with friends. Its so incredibly relaxing for me and always entertaining (whether for the right or wrong reasons). I just love food and I hope my passion comes across on this blog.

Some of you might be wondering why I have styled myself the "not-so-friendly" food critic or the "Grumpy Gourmand". If I was bit older, I guess I would affectionately be labeled cantankerous. Nevertheless, I lack a certain level of patience (some would say any patience) that allows others to go through their days happily oblivious to the annoyances created by the teeming populace of NYC. Naturally, I can not do so. And so, I find solace in life's simple pleasures: nicely charred octopus, a perfectly grilled veal chop, a bowl of spicy squid ink linguine with calamari, a scoop or three of gelato, etc...Those are the things that make me happy (at least relatively so) and hopefully, I can do the dirty work for you and find some great places for you to enjoy.

One more introductory piece of business: if you forced me to choose only one cuisine for the rest of my days, I'd have to go Italian. I am glad my Greek mother doesn't know how to use the internet, otherwise she would kill me. Not only do I LOVE pasta, but you also have great depth ranging from a tasty veal chop to simply grilled whole fish to rabbit cacciatore. And really, I'd be fine eating gelato three meals a day. So take that for what it is and I would definitely be curious what my readers' choice might be.

Finally, the key to the relationship between any so-called restaurant critic and his/her readers is trust. In essence, you have to calibrate your tastes and proclivities with a critic that you like to read. Only then can you really grow to trust their opinions. To that end, I have compiled a list of my favorite (or least favorite, as the case may be) restaurants below, so that you can start getting a feel of what does it for me. Here goes:

Favorite Special Occasion Dinner: Babbo (I just love the casual atmosphere and the pastas)
Most Annoying Reservation System: Babbo (really, I called at 10:01am for a reservation a month out and all you have is 6:00pm and 10:45pm. God, I hate you)
Favorite Expense Report Lunch: Jean Georges (best deal in the city--two courses $28)
Best Restaurant for Large Parties: Inoteca (the family-style prix fixe menu is a great option for birthday parties or other large gatherings)
Most Overrated: The Spotted Pig (a mob scene at all times and really there are only two yummy things on the menu--the burger and the gnudi)
Most Underrated (tie): Wallse and Spice Market
Best BBQ: Hill Country (they have Blue Bell ice cream...Case closed)
Best Date Spot: Apizz (really sketchy street on the LES but the food and atmosphere are perfect)
Best Breakfast/Brunch: Shopsin's (a bitter old man after my own heart)
Best Paella: Socarrat (there is no other competition in the city, but damn, this place is good)
Dinner that Always Hits the Spot: Momofuku Noodle Bar
Best Casual Italian: Frankies Spuntino
Best Pork Butt: Bo Ssam at Momofuku Ssam Bar (yep, it deserves its own category, its that good. And don't listen to them, 4 guys can definitely take down the whole Ssam)
Best Gelato: L'Arte de Gelato

So these restaurants are just a few of my faves; hopefully, you like what you see and if you haven't been to a place on my fave list, I promise, you will not be disappointed.

Well, that's it for now; check back often for new reviews and restaurant news from your GRUMPY GOURMAND. Ok, I am off to yell at my neighbor for pumping techno music all night long on a Wednesday night. Did I mention I love the West Village?

1 comment:

  1. A lot of people agree with you on the Spotted Pig, but I think you should give it another shot. Yes, the dinner scene is usually way too crowded, but lunch really isn't so bad (including Saturday and Sunday if you show up before 1 PM). Also... try the deviled eggs, the grilled cheese, or the ricotta tart when it's on the menu. You may change your mind!

    ReplyDelete